Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Connecting with the World: Global Engagement

There are many advantages to become globally engaged.  The best one that I can come upon with is learn from other misfortune and fixing it.  Also if you are aware of the global issues, even if they don’t directly affect you, you can become a well rounded individual.  If you are a sympathetic person then you might even be moved to take action and help others on a global scale.  I am already pretty globally engaged.  I watch the news all the time and I read the paper pretty much every morning.  I went to a Jesuit school as well where they were always encouraging the awareness of issues that are going on in the world.  I also travel out of the country a lot, especially to Mexico.  My step mother is from Mexico, so we visit their family a lot, unfortunately they are very poor.  I have seen firsthand what the poverty in developing countries is like, and it is very saddening.  With this knowledge however I hope learn from the economic mistakes of other countries and applying the lessons into my own life.  I do have a desire to help others, but later on when I hopefully have the money to help support agencies that try and fix these issues.  I have always been taught that time is more valuable than money, but in order to fight poverty, one must have money to do so.  Since I will most likely have the power to help others, I will hopefully choose to do so.

3 comments:

rwaer12 said...

That's a very noble thing to help other people in need. If everybody in our country were as generous with their money, I feel we could make a much bigger difference with poverty in other countries. It is very hard learning about things that are going on in different countries and realizing that you can only help a small bit. Hopefully everybody will help that small bit and we will be able to do a lot.

Gavin Bennett said...

I agree that it is very noble to help those who are less fortunate. Money is a big must to help, but more-so, I think, is innovation to help them in a way that hasn't been done before, then spending time on that idea.

Adriana! said...

I think that most see becoming globally engaged as a "hastle"... I don't think people realize the huge advantage that it would give them out in the workplace.