Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Understanding and Appreciating Differences: Diversity

I believe that having diversity is a very important thing.  It is by far the most American idea.  There is no one in America whose ancestry actually came from American except for Native-Americans.  So to me this idea of diversity is a very healthy party of social and educational development.  It’s social because it helps us learn how to accept others and learn from other cultures.  It’s educational because each different society may have different views on things.  By comparing opinions one can gain greater knowledge on the subject.  Now onto the idea of stereotypes.  I personally think that stereotypes should not be changed or ignored.  Many people argue that they aren’t true, but in every observation I have had, it is very true.  I know that EVERYONE doesn’t fit into each stereotype, but the whole reason the stereotype was created is because enough people expressed the traits that are included within them.  I personally think that they can be very funny and if the stereotype is incorrect for your grouping, then it gives greater reason to laugh about it.  However I have learned that the reason that they have become stereotypes is because they really are true, has anyone ever been to a Popeye’s or churches chicken, enough said.  All I am trying to say is that people need to just laugh at these stereotypes instead of getting uptight or insulted by them.  

3 comments:

yenjen said...

I agree it is important to be connected with other cultures

Gavin Bennett said...

You comment about Popeyes doesn't mean anything. You believe stereotypes are true? So Jewish people are cheap, and the French are cowards? It is quite ignorant of you to say that stereotypes are all true.

Adriana! said...

I liked your comment on diversity being "an American idea"... I'd never heard it be put in those words.